With the changing environment and technology, there has also been a notable change in the lifestyle of humans. With the modern lifestyle, humans are facing many problems of malnutrition or over nutrition that causes scarcity of many essential minerals in our body. In order to fix these problems keep your body in complete balance of minerals, we need to add some extra dietary supplements in our daily routine.
Magnesium Oxide is also one of the minerals that occur naturally in our body and, have a role in the working and functioning of different body organs. Magnesium is present in our blood, but due to the modern lifestyle food habits, your body may start starving for the essential elements that can be fulfilled by taking supplements. In this article, we have covered the complete topic you need to know about Magnesium Oxide apart from your family doctor’s advise.
Magnesium Oxide Supplements:
Magnesium oxide supplements are used to prevent the risk of low magnesium levels in your bloodstreams. It is an important and vital mineral for your body parts as well as healthy muscle and bone build up. Magnesium also takes an important role in the proper functioning of the different organs of the body too.
Magnesium Oxide is also used by many to cope with the problems of heartburn and indigestion problems. These supplements are termed as Laxative in the pharmaceutical industries. A laxative can be purchased from any medical store or Pharmacy without the need of any prescription. Since Magnesium Oxide / Laxative is a non-prescription drug, thus it is important that you diagnose the need of the mineral in your body that you are lacking. Please read the following properly so you can get everything you need to know about Magnesium Oxide.
Magnesium Oxide Benefits:
Following are the most common and important benefits of Magnesium Oxide in our body:
- Found in every living being on earth, Magnesium Oxide is a quick starter and catalyst for most of the biochemical reactions in our body.
- Out of the total, 60% of Magnesium Oxide is present in bones, thus it is also important for good bone health.
- It acts as a helper to the secretion of different enzymes in the body.
- It helps to simulate better energy creation, protein function, genes maintenance, muscle movements, nervous system regulations, etc.
- During the physical workout or exercise, your body needs 10 to 20 percentile of more Magnesium to create the necessary energy and rebuild of muscles. It is also important for the secretion of insulin in order to keep the proper blood sugar levels in your body.
- Since Magnesium is an important mineral to keep the proper functioning of the brain and keeping the brain cells healthy, this mineral is a good cure to fight depression and anxiety problems in your body. Taking 450 mg of magnesium daily improves mood as effectively as an antidepressant drug
- It also has benefits for diabetic patients. Magnesium oxide helps to control and secrete insulin, thus it is one of the important minerals is also used for diabetes patients. Even low magnesium levels in the body can create the problem of diabetes in the body.
- It helps to control the blood pressure to the normal rates. Usually, a 200 to 500 mg of magnesium daily can keep you safe from the risks of high blood pressure.
- It Has Anti-Inflammatory Benefits. Low magnesium intake is linked to chronic inflammation, which is one of the drivers of aging, obesity and chronic disease.
- Magnesium Can Help Prevent Migraines. Some researchers believe that people who suffer from migraines are more likely than others to be magnesium deficient.
- Magnesium Improves PMS Symptoms. Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is one of the most common disorders among women of childbearing age.
Warnings to Consider Before Consuming Magnesium Oxide:
- Taking too much Magnesium Oxide can also be harmful to your health. You shall make sure that you consult the doctor before taking any pills, also make sure that you do not overdose with the medicine. A large amount of Magnesium can cause many side effects in your body.
- Make sure that you consult a general physician before taking any magnesium supplement if you are allergic to antacids, laxatives, or any other drugs.
- You shall not use magnesium oxide supplement more then a week or two if you are taking it for the problem of acidity or laxative agents.
- Consult a doctor before taking any magnesium oxide-based pill if you or your family have a history of kidney, liver, heart, or intestinal dysfunction or diseases.
- make sure you do not mix any other medication with the timings of any other medicinal drug. Make sure to keep span of at least two hours between any other dosage of medicine.
Magnesium Oxide Uses:
There is various relation of Magnesium Oxide with different kind of physical conditions and drugs. What is mag oxide used for? Some of the conditions to which Mag Oxide is relatable are listed below.
Magnesium Oxide dosage for Migraine:
Magnesium Oxide is prescribed to many patients with symptoms of Migraine. According to research conducted and the studies across the world, that in patients with low serum magnesium levels show symptoms of Vascular Headache. The administrated dosage of magnesium helps in giving quick relief to the migraine pain and headache.
However, the low dosage or the presence of a sufficient amount of magnesium in your body can prevent you from the effects and symptoms of Migraine. Still a heavy dosage of magnesium is advised on prescription for the Migraine patients. Make sure you run proper routine tests and consult to the doctor regularly in order to make sure that you have or not, the need of extra Magnesium to your body.
Magnesium Oxide Supplements for Anxiety:
A 50 mg per day of dosage of Magnesium Oxide is prescribed by many doctors for the patients suffering from Anxiety Disorders. The lower level of magnesium in our bloodstreams can make our body show the symptoms of Anxiety. Magnesium Oxide pills are often taken by many people to cope with the problem of anxiety attacks. A body shall maintain a sufficient amount of magnesium in its body so as to maintain good mental health. Magnesium oxide for anxiety and depression control is also prescribed by many doctors.
Need for Magnesium Oxide During Pregnancy:
As the baby develops in the mother’s womb, it needs as many minerals as a full-grown human in order to become healthy and take birth in this world. Magnesium is also important to be taken but make sure during pregnancy, no extra dosage or unprescribed dosage shall be taken.
Let your Gynae decide that you and your baby needs any kind of magnesium supplements. Please make sure that during pregnancy you do not attempt to take magnesium pills without consulting your doctor. even a lactating mother shall consult with a doctor before taking any extra magnesium supplements.
Magnesium Oxide for Gym Lovers:
Magnesium is a mineral that helps in producing energy for the cell structure to perform its proper functioning. Since a healthy metabolism is required when you are into bodybuilding, you can take a small dosage consulting your trainer or senior.
A serious Bodybuilder shall take the dosage of magnesium oxide 400 mg daily. Magnesium is an essential mineral to regenerate the muscles.
Side Effects of Magnesium Oxide
Magnesium Oxide Side Effects can be easily found out on an overdose of magnesium oxide. Magnesium oxide pills are available without a prescription but an overdose can cause you problems. Even sometimes some people are found to be allergic to magnesium and they may face problems that we have listed below. We suggest you consult a doctor as soon as possible if any of the following cases occurs:
- Diarrhea: Can be caused when your body starts rejecting magnesium dosage you are taking orally.
- Unusual fatigue
- Cramping: Over presence of magnesium leads to anaerobic respirations within your cells causing cramps and joint pains.
- Itching: An allergic person can develop itching or rashes on their skin when exposed to overdose or un-necessary dosage of Magnesium.
- Rash or hives: These are temporary symptoms that can appear in any person taking an overdose or is allergic to magnesium Oxide in any form.
- Nausea: It is one of the main magnesium side effects in cases of overdoses.
- Mood or mental changes: since it helps in maintaining mental balances, a low or extra presence of magnesium creates mood swings within the body.
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
Dosage for Magnesium Oxide:
There are many benefits of magnesium oxide that can also play a key role in health. Magnesium Oxide is available in all forms like tablet, pills, liquid Syrup, and in injections also. The dosage of magnesium depends on the need of your body for magnesium. According to a doctor’s prescription, a person can take magnesium up to four times a day. You can also refer the package of your medicine for correct amount dosage that will suit you.
When taking magnesium oxide in the form of Laxative tablets, then it is suggested that you consume the mineral based drug along with normal water or fruit juice or shakes. Do not simply chew or bite the tablet straight in your mouth as it will increase the magnesium levels in your body rapidly and cause any Magnesium Oxide Side Effects.
If you are seeking to take the magnesium to your body in the liquid form then you must be having it mixed with any other salts and thus will be in the form of syrup in the bottle. While taking any syrup, its advisable that you shake well the bottle before its use. Make sure to take the medicine in measured form as taking it orally or with a normal teaspoon, you will not be able to take magnesium in proper quantities. it is best to take the syrup with the measuring cup included with the bottle packaging.
Taking magnesium Oxide in liquid forms usually, do not show any side effects and can be absorbed and served to the body as soon as you consume it. Taking liquid syrup does not need any adulterations like having a pill with water or juice as stated in the case above. You can take syrup without worrying about pre or post food intake.
Magnesium Oxide Overdose:
However, Magnesium oxide overdose for once do not create any problems or side effects, still many times it can happen that taking an overdose to the drug for a long time, or you have made the drug overdose by taking large quantities of pills at the same time can start showing your different side-effects of magnesium oxide to your body.
In the case on an overdose to the drug, you shall immediately consult a doctor. In serious conditions, you can also call 911 and seek emergency services. you can also make a call to Poison centers or emergency centers stating your condition to get immediate medical assistance.
In case you have missed out any dosage for Magnesium Oxide, there is no need to be worried about and you can simply take the dose whenever you recall about the missed dosage. If it is the time of your next dose and you recall a missed dose, then let it be a missed one and simply move with the next dosage. Taking two or more missed doses at the same time can cause you overdose conditions.
Sources / Interactions of Magnesium Oxide With other drugs:
Before starting with any of the magnesium related pills or tablets you shall consult your family physician or any general doctor. Make sure that you share all types of food intakes as well as the dug courses you are going through or have been in past. Make sure to even discuss if any legalized or Banned you are taking before opting for Magnesium Supplements.
Magnesium is relatable with many different drugs. The below list simply states the presence of Magnesium Oxide in different drugs that people can be found taking in common.
- Antacids or laxatives,
- Anticoagulants such as warfarin (Coumadin),
- Diuretics (water pills),
- Tetracycline antibiotics – Antibiotics like tetracycline (Sumycin, Achromycin V), demeclocycline (Declomycin), doxycycline (Vibramycin, Monodox, Doxy, and others), minocycline (Minocin, Dynacin), or oxytetracycline (Terramycin)
- Fluoroquinolone antibiotics like ciprofloxacin (Cipro), ofloxacin (Floxin), enoxacin (Penetrex), norfloxacin (Noroxin), sparfloxacin (Zagam), levofloxacin (Levaquin), lomefloxacin (Maxaquin), or grepafloxacin (Raxar) have a numerable amount of Magnesium presence in its salt contents.
- Penicillamine (Cuprimine)
- Digoxin (Lanoxin, Lanoxicaps)
- Nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin, Furadantin)