A big part of the population is caring for health, And they do many activities to keep themselves healthy such as sports, running, and exercise. Some people don’t take seriously, the instructions which help you during the exercise and running. So your activity can produce the many types of disease like Hip Pain, Backbone Pain, Shin Splints, etc.
In this article we’ll suggest you how to heal shin splints, Mainly Runners are at highest risk for developing shin splints. Dancers and military recruits are two other groups frequently diagnosed with the condition.
What Is A Shin Splint?
The term ‘Shin Splints’ refers to stress along the front of your lower leg, at the shin bone. Shin splints are a common problem which is related to exercise. This problem can develop after hard exercise or work out. However, It can be due to simple activity if you do the exercise after a long time, So you should start with a light workout. You have to stop the workout if the shin splints are to be so intensive. Sometimes the outdoor game just like Football, Basketball, tennis, racquetball, soccer, etc. can be the shin splints causes. Some simple home remedies such as ice, rest, stretching, etc. can give you some relax from shin splints.
In Shin Splint, Pain occurs along the inner border of the shinbone, where muscles attach to the edge. It is an inflammation of muscles, tendons, and bone tissue around the tibia (shinbone). It is also known as “Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome.”
In general, Shin Splints develop due to overworked by any activity such as running, exercise, sports, etc. When the muscles increase the pressure against the bone due to excessive force, this pressure develops the pain in your shin. Sudden changes in physical activities such as raising the time of exercise, changes in duration and intensity, increase the number of the day you exercise each week, running a longer distance, can also cause shin splints. Other factors which can be the shin splints causes are:
- Exercise without proper training
- Using treadmill
- An anatomical abnormality such as flat foot syndrome, It is a genetic factor, Comes from parents to children.
- Running on an uneven surface
- Lack of stretches and flexibility
- Running downhill
- Muscle weakness in thighs due to lack of calcium or many other reasons
- Using inappropriate shoe in running and walking such as thin soul, heavy, etc.
- Running on a hard surface like stone, concrete, bituminous, etc.
- Quickly start and stop exercise.
This problem can also create by the stress reaction to fracture in a bone, and Your body can also repair it If given time to rest. If you don’t take rest for sufficient time, then it can be a complete fracture.
Shin Splints Symptoms
Sometimes you feel the pain in the shin, and you ignore, it can make a big problem for you. So it’s better for you to consult with your doctor. Here, We discuss some common shin splints symptoms:
- You feel pain in the muscles
- See swelling in the lower leg
- Pain develop on both side of the tibia
- You can’t stand for some time because you feel the weakness in the feet
- Numbness in the feet
- Pain occurs along the inner part of the lower leg and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- Pain in your shins even, When you’re resting
- Pain occurs both during and after exercise
- Feels hot when touching a shin
- Tenderness or soreness along the inner part of the lower leg
- Be aggravated by touching the sore spot
- You see the swollen shin after an accident or fall.
There are three ways to heal shin splints home remedies, not-surgical, and surgical. By some home remedies, you can cure shin splints without the discussion with a doctor. But in a serious condition you have to talk with your doctor, With the help of below-listed ways you can know how to take care of shin splints:
1. Home Remedies
There are so many home remedies to heal the shin splints but we discuss some most used home remedies:
1. Take Rest: As we discussed in the above paragraph, Shin splints are mainly caused by overwork and overused, You should take several weeks of rest from the activities.
2. Bandage: You should wear an elastic compression bandage, It may help you to prevent the swelling.
3. Stretching: Flexibility exercises give some relax, such as stretching your lower leg muscles may make your shins feel better.
4. Ice: Use cold packs for 20 minutes at a time, several times a day. Do not apply ice directly to the skin.
5. Shoes: Shoes play an essential role in all type of exercises and other activities; Shoes will help reduce stress in your shin. People who have flat feet, The supportive shoes can help to align and stabilize their foot and ankle, taking pressure off of your lower leg.
6 Aerobic: You can do lower impact aerobic activities such as swimming, slow walking, using a stationary bike etc. during the treatment.
2. Non-Surgical Treatment
In non-surgical treatment, the doctor gives you some pain killer tablets such as naproxen, ibuprofen, and aspirin. Use of these medicines or several days can reduce the pain and heal shin splints.
3. Surgical Treatment
Surgical treatment is the last stage of shin splints treatment, Doctor suggests you for surgery when you feel the pain and see the symptoms for more than several months. However, Very few people need surgery for shin splints. Surgery has been done in very severe cases that do not respond to nonsurgical treatment.
Can I Return To Exercise?
Mostly, The shin splints can be resolved by the treatments described above and the rest of several days. You can return to the exercise, But you should be pain-free for at least two weeks before returning to the practice. You have to keep in mind that you should not be exercising as often as you did before, or for the same length of time.
Taking Cyclobenzaprine medicine in a prescribed quntity can act as a pain killer in Shin Splints.
You should start the exercise slowly and increase it gradually, With the following below-listed steps, You can know how to take care of shin splints :
- You should do alternative jogging with lower impact sports like swimming or cycling.
- You can do barefoot running; Nowadays the barefoot running is being so popular, According to Some research, the barefoot running spreads out impact stresses among muscles, So that no area is overloaded. But there is no clear evidence that barefoot running reduces the risk of any injury.
- You should keep away from any intense exercise if you feel pain in muscles.
- Take a footprint on blank paper, You have either flat feet or high arch feet, So you should purchase the shoes according to the shape of your foot.
- Use the shocks absorbing insoles.
- You have to avoid the exercise on a hard surface.